Thursday, August 31, 2006

All titles in the form of questions?

Broder, it's an understatement to say I agree with what you wrote below. I'm afraid you may be somehow stealing my brain space like it's WiFi -- I've been actively thinking about all the same things. Soul black with the pursuit of money? Check. Don't immerse myself in pop culture like I used to? Check. Tastes much more refined than they were back in high school? Whoa, man, back'er up.

I know what you mean: if we can dig up some of those columns, I think we'll find most of it cringe-worthy. (I used to blather on about how Dylan was washed out and had a horrible voice -- not sure if I even put that gem in print -- and the true shame is that it wasn't even my own opinion. I hadn't listened to a single record. I was repeating Dennis Miller who was the epitome of the avant garde from my point of view in 1996. A year later, Dylan would release Time Out of Mind, one of the best albums of the '90s. I wouldn't hop on the bandwagon for another couple years.) I fear that looking back on this blog in ten years will be just as embarassing, if only because this time we're specifically aiming for earnest and well-informed which might make the whole thing even more unintentionally hillarious than the original. But the fear of failure is paralyzing so lets keep moving forward -- this nostalgia trip is getting me down anyways.

Have you heard the newish Paul Simon record produced by Brian Eno? They played "How Can You Live In The Northeast" on All Songs Considered the other day. It was good enough for me to consider buying the record despite my decade-long aversion to new records by '60s legends.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home