Monday, September 18, 2006

Two hours of Deal or No Deal leading into Studio 60 tonight? That's how I like my irony.

I don't have anything grand to say about La Moustache -- just that it's one of the best films I've seen in some time and I want to get that down, if not with pen and ink, then with ones and zeros. Novelist and director Emmanuel Carrère adapted his own novel about a man who shaves off his moustache and no one including his wife notices into a sharp film that succeeds on every level. Its first act plays off the ridiculous conceit of the plot, winking and nudging along until it turns full-on thriller. At first, I thought it was ridiculous but I got sucked in, just as I suspect Carrère intended. The last act of the film turns weird -- Lynchian weird -- and I expected the whole thing to end abstractly, metaphorically. But, no, Carrère wraps the story up well. It doesn't make logical sense -- I never would have expected it to -- but it earns its ending. Earlier this year I read Carrère's novel Class Trip and I'm currently in the middle of his true crime book The Adversary. They are both, like La Moustache, gripping and slightly ridiculous and entirely worth your time, money, blood, etc.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home